A Special Message to our Visitors and Guests:
A question we’re often asked is “Do you have to be a member to ride with the Wheelmen?”. The answer is no, we love having visitors and guests ride with us. Perhaps you plan to visit the SA area and would like to get in group ride or you have recently moved here or are new to cycling and would like to see if our club is right for you. Whatever the reason, you are welcome at our club rides. To better assist you, please contact the ride starter listed for that day, explain your situation, and he or she will be happy to assist you. On the day of the ride, plan to arrive about ½ hour early, introduce yourself to the ride starter. He or she will answer your questions and help you get hooked up with other riders of your speed and distance. Many of our rides are “no-drop”, which means that someone will lead the group that stays together--no one gets dropped. This is an excellent way for a guest or newcomer to link up with us. Please don’t hesitate to contact our ride leaders for more information. Of course, always feel free to email me for assistance.
Welcome to the Wheelmen! We hope you enjoy riding with us and we look forward to seeing you on the road.
Some basic information visitors and guests should know:
- Helmets are required for all riders on a Wheelmen rides.
- Please have your bicycle inspected by a professional to ensure it is safe for you to ride.
- All club rides are self-supported, which means that each rider is responsible for carrying his or her own water, food, cell phone, money, identification, medical and insurance information, and equipment to change flats. It is the general nature of most riders to help each other out and while we are not mechanics and cannot promise someone will help, most if not all of our members are happy to assist you should you need help. Most rides stop at convenience stores for breaks.
- We are a club for adults – 18 or older. Riders under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- All riders must sign a waiver of liability before the start of each ride.
- Our club insurance pertains only to members, not guests or visitors.
- We will do our best to provide others for you to ride with but unless the ride is specifically designated “no drop” then we cannot guarantee you will have someone to ride with.
- Riders should be physically able and experienced to complete the distances they choose. Many of our rides are in very hilly areas and even the shortest of those routes can tax a new rider’s stamina.
- The San Antonio Wheelmen is open to any adult, 18 or over, who is interested in bicycle riding, bicycle safety, or the Club’s social events. Join the club!
If you are new to cycling please consider attending one of our Rider Education Series class.